|The Hugh Green Group has evolved from the Green & McCahill group of companies.
The Hugh Green Group is comprised of a number of privately owned companies with significant interests in a number of public companies such as Hellaby Holdings Ltd and Turners Ltd, as well as owning large areas of residential land in the greater Auckland region and substantial tracts of farmland in the Auckland and Waikato regions. Hugh Green’s passion for things ‘pastoral’ is evidenced in its acquisition of two saleyards and frequent livestock auctioning.
|Whilst the recent focus has been on investment the Hugh Green Group has maintained an interest in engineering construction through the development of some of it’s existing landholdings. The company is actively involved in the development of residential subdivisions throughout the wider Auckland area as well as Tauranga. In addition it owns and develops purpose built industrial warehousing and offices for lease on its industrial land at Wiri. Developments have been completed for Penske Commercial Vehicles NZ, Owens Transport, Thermo King, Cummins Engine Company and UD Trucks. The company has recently completed a Kidicorp childcare centre in Flat Bush, Manukau and a Palmers Retail Centre in Pinehill, Albany.|
|The strength of the Hugh Green Group can be traced back over 50 years. In 1949 Hugh Green left his native Ireland at the age of 17 and worked in Scotland and England before moving to Australia where he met Barney McCahill, a fellow Irishman in his early twenties. They formed the Donegal Construction Company with two other Irishmen and, from 1950 to 1952, worked in Melbourne laying watermains for the Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works. In 1952, the four partners went their separate ways, but Hugh Green and Barney McCahill carried on a partnership and started work in Wellington laying cables for the Post and Telegraph Department. In 1953, they moved to Auckland and formed Green & McCahill (Contractors) Ltd.
The 1950’s saw the formation of the Auckland Metropolitan Drainage Board and the North Shore Drainage Board, and for ten to fifteen years these local bodies let a succession of contracts for pipe-laying – in trenches, in tunnels, and over the ground. Green & McCahill (Contractors) Limited made major contributions to these contracts, particularly in tunnelling work and the more difficult trenching work in rock and soft earth. Towards the end of the decade the firm had acquired earthmoving equipment and had begun constructing subdivisions both on a contract basis and on its own land.
|The first major roading job was the Hamilton arterial route for the Ministry of Works carried out in 1960-1961. The next 20 years was the heyday of earthmoving in New Zealand, and Green & McCahill made a name for itself all over the country. In the 1980’s “think big” projects dominated the New Zealand construction industry and Green & McCahill adapted itself accordingly to the new challenges. The company was widely known for its part in such major works as Marsden Point, the New Zealand Steel Mill in Glenbrook, the Te Marua storage lakes near Wellington, and the restoration of the collapsed Ruahihi Hydro Scheme.|
|If the success of the company over the years could be put down to anything it must have been to its philosophy and ability to evolve with the times. This philosophy is what drives the Hugh Green Group today. The company prides itself in keeping abreast of, and adapting to, changes in the country and the market. It is this flexibility which has enabled it to diversify so profitably. With one eye on the future and both feet firmly grounded in the present, the Hugh Green Group is set to maintain its position at the forefront of private enterprise in New Zealand.|